BEST FOODS THAT CAN HELP YOU FIGHT PAIN CAUSED BY OSTEOARTHRITIS
It is true that there is no cure for osteoarthritis by way of diet, but there are some foods that have anti-inflammatory properties and can help fight osteoarthritic pain. Including such foods into a balanced meal can help in alleviating the symptoms of pain.
How Food Helps Fight Pain
Free radicals production happens due to inflammation by the body to fight toxins and other natural bodily processes. These free radicals have the capacity to damage cells. Antioxidants have the capacity to fight the free radicals. Antioxidants have been found to prevent arthritis, slow down progression of arthritis, and also help alleviate pain. Also maintaining good weight relieves the weight-bearing joints off pressure and helps in managing osteoarthritis.
Best Foods For Osteoarthritis Pain:
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Omega-3 Fatty Acids have inflammation fighting properties and these are found in abundance in fishes, such as salmon, tuna, etc.
- Vitamin C: Cartilage development requires vitamin C and deficiency leads to weakened cartilage causing osteoarthritis. Hence, include fruits and vegetables like oranges, grapefruit kiwi, guava, pineapple, strawberries, cauliflower, tomatoes, and bell peppers.
- Soya: Soya is also rich in omega-3 fatty acids that have inflammation fighting properties. Also it is low in fat, rich in protein and fiber, hence very good for overall health.
- Vitamin D: Vitamin D has also been found to help in preventing cartilage breakdown and decreases joint space narrowing. Foods like eggs, fortified milk and seafood like shrimp are found to be rich in vitamin D.
- Use the right oil: Extra virgin olive oil, walnut oil, avocado oil, all help in fighting osteoarthritis.
- Dairy products: Low-fat milk, yoghurt, and cheese are rich in calcium and vitamin D responsible for increasing bone strength.
- Beta-carotene: Foods rich in beta-carotene also have free radical fighting properties. This is present in vegetables such as carrot, sweet potatoes, greens like lettuce, tomatoes, asparagus, peppermint leaves, etc.
- Broccoli: This is rich in vitamins K and C. It also contains sulforaphane, which has been found to slow down osteoarthritis progression. Also it is rich in calcium that helps in bone development.
- Green Tea: This contains polyphenols, which are antioxidants that help in reduction of inflammation and cartilage destruction.
- Bioflavanoids: Bioflavanoids such as quercetin is a form of antioxidant that has anti-inflammatory properties. This helps in pain relief. Some of the foods rich in quercetin are kale, onions, broccoli, cocoa powder, green tea, apples with skin, blueberries, black currants, etc.
- Spices: Spices like turmeric and ginger have anti-inflammatory properties which may help in suppression of the inflammatory body chemicals.
- Garlic, onions, and leeks: Include foods that contain garlic, onions, and leeks as these have properties that can delay the progression of osteoarthritis.
- Nuts: Include nuts such as pine nuts, walnuts, pistachios, and almond in the diet. These are rich in proteins, zinc, vitamin E, etc. These also help in weight loss, which helps with osteoarthritis symptoms.
In conclusion, maintaining healthy weight, eating a balanced diet and including the above-mentioned items in the diet, and doing proper exercises, will help combat osteoarthritis pain and lead a healthy life.