There are many types of Spondylolisthesis which affect adults, but the two most common types are Degenerative and Spondylolytic. There are other types of Spondylolisthesis which are less common such as slippage of the vertebra caused by fracture or tumor.
Options to avoid surgery and reduce pain:
1. Ice pack:Application of ice pack may be helpful to ease initial inflammation and muscle spasms associated with a lumbar herniated disc. This is especially effective in first 48 hours after pain has started.
2. Heat application: Applying heat can help relieve painful muscle spasms after the first 48 hours. Heating pads, a hot compress as well as moist heat, such as a hot bath, can be used.Some people find alternating hot and cold packs provides the maximum pain relief.
3. Rest and exercise:Bed rest for severe pain is best limited to one or two days only. Extended rest will lead to stiffness and more pain. After that, light activity and frequent movementwith rest breaks as neededis advised. Heavy lifting and strenuous exercise should be avoided.
4. Physiotherapy: Physical therapy is important in teaching targeted stretching and exercises for rehabilitation. The program may also teach the patient safer ways to perform ordinary activities, such as lifting and walking.
5. Massages: Various massage techniques are used to relax muscles and ease tension.
Alternative therapies like Yoga and Ayurveda are also extremely popular for providing lasting pain relief with no side effects. Ayurvedic massages and Therapies like Podikkizhi ,Ilakkaizhi, kativasthi, Pizhichil, Nhavarakkizhi and most importantly Kashaya Vasthi and Ksheeravasthi are quite effective in relieving the symptoms and aiding pain relief. These therapies also help strengthen the back and prevent a recurrence.