Sacrum is a part of the vertebra and ilium is the part of the hip bone that joins the pelvis to the vertebra. Sacroiliitis is a condition characterized by inflammation at the joint where the sacrum meets the ilium. It is sometimes a cause of back pain with difficulty in turning in bed and leads to stiffness over a period of time.
Causes of Sacroiliitis
A wide range of factors are responsible for causing or predisposing one to develop sacroiliitis
- It usually occurs as a sequel of a number of auto immune diseases (conditions where your immune system starts acting against your own cells) like Rhuematism, SLE, Psoriasis.
- Secondary to degenerative conditions – where the joint get sworn out due to ageing.
- Direct trauma in the form of accidents or falls.
- Urinary tract infections which may spread to the sacrum or ilium- resulting in the infection of the joint which in turn leads to wear and tear of the joint.
- Intra-venous drug use and drug addictions – this also increases the risk of infections which could spread to the sacroiliac joint and damage the same.
Symptoms of Sacroiliitis
- Fever or local raise in temperature.
- Pain in the low back which may or may not radiate to your legs, which usually worsens on sitting for a long time.
- Stiffness felt at the hip and low back usually experienced in the morning while getting up from your bed.
Allopathy & Ayurvedic Treatment for Sacroiliitis
Treatment for sacroiliitis is aimed at reversing the inflammatory process and pain relief and ensuring that the disease does not progress to a state where deformities set in.
- Treatment for Sacroiliitis in Contemporary Medicine (Allopathy)
It includes rest, Heat and cold packs, Administration of NSAID’S (Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs) Local injections. All these therapies are only aimed at temporary pain relief and not reversing the disease process. These may not be enough to have a good control over the disease and hence it may lead to the manifestation of deformities where surgical intervention might be required. Further long term use of NSAID’s are harmful to the normal functioning of Kidneys and Liver.
- Ayurvedic Treatment for Sacroiliitis
- Treatment for Sacoiliitis at AVN AROGYA
- Why AVN AROGYA!