The term Spondylo means the vertebrae and Lysis means disintegration. So therefore, Spondylolysis is a condition of the spinal vertebrae with a defect (Fracture) in the vertebrae especially in the pars interarticularis It is a small segment of the vertebral bone that joins the facet joints, The part that forms the joint and allows movement between two vertebrae
to the spine. The pars interarticularis has poor blood supply and is prone to stress fractures. Spondylolysis produces low back ache due to this structural defect. It commonly occurs in children between 5-7 years of age. Spondylolysis occurs in people who do a lot of backward bending and happens when someone suddenly and forcefully bends backward. This condition is also known as gymnastics fracture.
CAUSES OF SPONDYLOLYSIS
- It occurs as a result of repetitive stress in the vertebra leading to fracture in the pars interarticularis
- Seen in gymnasts, Athletes, and people indulging in sports and tasks involving heavy physical exertion
- Seen in people who do a lot of undue backward bending
- A genetic vulnerability is also associated
SYMPTOMS OF SPONDYLOLYSIS
- Severe and deep pain, are the major symptoms one can experience. This pain usually worsens with movement
- Spondylolysis often leads to Spondylolisthesis
- Spondylolysis may also lead to nerve root compression which can lead to Sciatica and then produces pain or numbness in the back, radiating to the legs. It can also lead to weakness of the muscles of the legs
- Sometimes it may also be asymptomatic but can gradually turn symptomatic with time
TREATMENT FOR SPONDYLOLYSIS
Spondylolysis, though a structural problem can be managed effectively without surgery in most cases. Research has shown that about 73% of cases heal completely in the beginning stage and 38% of patients with progressive conditions also heal through non-surgical treatment.
The goal of the conservative treatment approach to Spondylolysis is to provide relief from the symptoms associated with Spondylosis and to prevent retardation in the ability to carry out activities of daily living and improve quality of life.
- Treatment for Lumbar Spondylolysis in Contemporary Medicine (Allopathy)
In the case of active spondylolysis, immobilization (Bracing) has to be done for a duration of at least 4 months till the pars heal during which time painkilling medication can be administered. Along with this, gentle hamstring stretching is advised to be done. Strength his gradually increased by increasing the weight progressively. In severe cases where there is no pain relief by non-surgical techniques, surgical correction by Decompressive Laminectomy with spine fusion is advised. In the case of inactive spondylolysis, physical exercise and strengthening to prevent complications are the main methods of treatment.
- Ayurvedic Treatment For Spondylolysis
Ayurvedic approach to treatment of Spondylolysis depends on the stage of the problem. Soon after the episode, the patient is given rest along with oil massages and bandage. Medicines that help in the healing are available in Ayurveda and are extremely helpful in hastening the healing process. Once the lesion heals, patients are advised to regularly practice flexion exercises regularly.
In chronic cases, without radiating pain or numbness, treatment comprises of medicines and exercises to help to strengthen the core and back muscles and to ensure prevention of spondylolisthesis. If pain, numbness or weakness radiating to the legs exists, Ayurvedic therapies like Podikkizhi (Herbal Powder poultice massage), Ilakkizhi (Fresh herbal mixture massage) Kativasthi (oil pooling in the back), Tailadhara (Oil pouring in the body), Nhavarakkizhi ( Massage with medicated rice bolus) and Vasthi (Medicated enema) are used.
- Ayurveda Treatment for Spondylolysis & Lumbar Spondylolysis at AVN AROGYA
At AVN Arogya, we have developed excellent products that help relieve the symptoms like, pain, stiffness, loss of strength and numbness associated with the complications like Sciatica and Spondylolisthesis. The medicines are also helpful in preventing further degeneration with regular use. Patients who have recently developed the problem invariable respond to these medicines and can prevent further episodes through maintenance comprising of exercises and in some cases anti-degenerative medicines. Those who have very severe problems require therapies that can be carried out at any of our centres. Those who are in excruciating pain and severe symptoms, those who have recently suffered from the episode or those who suffer from other concomitant diseases and complications and who require complete rest and close monitoring would be advised admission at our Hospital in Madurai and given treatment comprising of Medicines, Ayurvedic Therapies, Counselling and Physiotherapy.
Why AVN AROGYA for Spondylolysis
- Ayurvedic Treatment for Spondylosis at AVN Arogya alleviates the need for surgery and improves quality of life.
- Our experience of over 85 years makes us the best at offering the services required to effectively heal
- The ayurveda treatment offered is time-tested, safe and effective
- The ayurveda treatment is natural and holistic
- Our comprehensive approach helps retard the chances of a recurrence
- Patients can continue to live life with renewed confidence