The term ANKYLO means stiffening and Spondylitis mean inflammation in the vertebral joints.
Ankylosing spondylitis is an autoimmune (Our own immune system attacking the body) chronic inflammatory condition (Inflammation is a condition which arises as a result of the body’s reaction to external trauma or an infection which is usually characterized by redness, swelling, pain and rise in temperature) of the part of the vertebral joint called the enthesis. The inflammation in turn leads to the stiffening of the affected part which may in turn lead to stiffness and low back pain, neck and gradually the entire vertebral column and leads to a hunched back posture.
Causes of Ankylosing Spondylitis
- The exact causes of Ankylosing Spondylitis are not known.
- However, it is understood that the vulnerability to the disease usually is inherited by virtue of the genes.
- Persons who are positive for HLAB27 are particularly at risk.
- Other environmental factors are also known to trigger the condition. Not everyone with a positive HLAB27 develops the disease.
- Ayurveda describes excessive exertion, ingestion of spicy and incompatible foods, stress, lack of adequate rest and leading a very sedentary life as factors responsible for triggering the condition.
Symptoms of Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Pain and stiffness are the primary symptoms one might experience. Pain may be seen in the regions of low back, hip joint and may last for a period of more than 3 months usually.
- Bony fusion is another sign in this condition where the vertebrae fuse together leading to a hunched back posture.
- It can also affect the neck leading to inability to turn the neck.
- It is also associated with other systemic symptoms like Iritis (Inflammation, redness in the eyes), fever, fatigue and loss of appetite.
- In some rare cases it may also be associated with heart and lung diseases.
- In chronic cases it leads to restriction in the ability to breathe freely.
Allopathy & Ayurvedic Treatment of Ankylosing Spondylitis
Treatment for this condition is aimed at relieving the inflammation, pain and stiffness, to maintain a maximal range of skeletal mobility and to avoid the development of deformities and complications.
Treatment for Ankylosing Spondylitis in – Contemporary Medicine (Allopathy)
- Anti-inflammatory and Painkilling medication remain the main stay in the management of Ankylosing Spondylitis. Disease-modifying drugs like Steroids, Methotrexate, and Sulfasalazine are useful in reducing inflammation of the joints but however are associated with side effects on long-term use.
- Tumour Necrosis Factor Alpha Blockers are the new agents recommended in the management of this condition. These injections are administered every month and are very effective in controlling inflammation but are to be used non-stop. They are very expensive and that severely limits the feasibility to use them widely. Further, the disease is known to relapse within a period of one year if the treatment is withdrawn.
- Physiotherapy and leading an active lifestyle are recommended. Swimming is very helpful to keep the muscle strong and to keep the lungs functional.
- Cessation of smoking is very important to protect lung function and prevent cardiac complications.
- In a case where deformities have developed surgery is advised.
Ayurvedic Treatment For Ankylosing Spondylitis:
Ayurveda has a very effective approach to the treatment of inflammations even those of autoimmune nature. The approach is holistic comprising of diet modifications, lifestyle changes, stress management, herbal medication and Ayurvedic therapies, Yoga asanas and pranayama and meditation that help the body get back to Homeostasis (state of balance and harmony). The approach is even effective as a preventive against further relapses of the condition.
In usual practice, we observe that many patients improve very well with herbal medicines and external applications alone but, some with severe symptoms require therapies like Dhanymladhara (Pouring of a warm fermented liquid), Podikkizhi (Herbal powder massage) Ilakkizhi (Massage with bolus of fresh herbal leaves), Oil massage with steam bath and several varieties of Vasthi (Medicated enema). These therapies if administered under the supervision of knowledgeable Ayurvedic physicians are all very effective in relieving the inflammation and keeping the problem away without the need for powerful drugs. Therapies like Tailadhara (Pouring medicated oils on the body), Nhavarakkizhi (Massage with Bolus of rice boiled in medicated milk) and Ksheervasthi (Medicated milk based enema) are then used and are extremely effective in strengthening the tissues and improving flexibility.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Ankylosing Spondylitis at AVN AROGYA
At AVN Arogya, we specialise in offering individualised treatment of Ankylosing spondylitis and have had a very high success rate at achieving and maintaining remission and good functionality in patients suffering from Ankylosing spondylitis without the need for steroids, disease-modifying drugs or TNF alpha-blockers. Our day care centres offer consultation, medication and therapies which are adequate for a large number of patients. But, some patients with severely active diseases and those whose symptoms are chronic may require In-patient therapy at our hospital in Madurai. Follow-up treatment is possible at our centres and even at remote locations by continuation of medication and We offer telephone consultation as well.
Why AVN AROGYA for Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Our ayurvedic treatment for ankylosing spondylitis provides a very effective solution.
- It alleviates the need for powerful drugs and prevents the need for surgery.
- It greatly enhances the quality of life.
- Our experience of over 85 years makes us the best at offering the services required to effectively heal.
- The ayurveda treatment offered is time-tested, safe and effective.
- The ayurvedic treatment is natural and holistic.
- Our comprehensive approach helps retard the chances of a recurrence.
- Patients can continue to live life with renewed confidence.