One of the major nerves supplying the lower limbs is the sciatic nerve. It arises from the lumbosacral part of the vertebral column and travels right up to the feet. Sciatica is a condition that arises when this sciatic nerve is pressed or gets inflamed and it is characterised by pain, or altered sensation or numbness in the areas supplied by the sciatic nerve. It is one of the most common conditions seen in people suffering from low back pain.
Causes of Sciatica Pain
- Intra Vertebral Disc Herniation
A disc that is protruding, causes compression over the sciatic nerve and hence causes sciatica pain.
- Spinal Stenosis
Narrowing of the spinal canal makes the available space lesser and leads to sciatica pain.
- Spondylosis, Spondylolysis, Spondylolisthesis
These are conditions that cause mis-alignment in the spinal canal and that in turn leads to pressure in the conditions where there will be sciatic nerve compression.
Is an inflammation in the joints associated with the back bone and this can lead to inflammation in the sciatic nerve as well.
- Muscular Spasm
There is a muscle called piriformis in the buttock region which when in spasm (involuntary contractions) leads to the manifestation of sciatica.
The foetus in the uterus tends to apply pressure over the sciatic nerve leading to its irritation and manifestation of sciatica.
A fall or other forms of trauma can cause pressure on the sciatic nerve leading to Sciatica Pain.
Symptoms of Sciatica Pain
- PAIN is the main symptom in sciatica, it is usually seen in the low back and may radiate to the buttocks and one or both the legs along the course of the sciatic nerve which passes through the back of the legs. The pain is usually shooting in type
- Other associated symptoms one might experience are – numbness in the affected side
- Tingling sensation
- Muscular wasting (loose and flabby muscles in the affected side)
- Muscular weakness
- Other symptoms that can be caused are related to the stress caused by the condition, and that leads to sleep disturbances, anxiety etc.
Allopathy & Ayurvedic Treatment of Sciatica Problem
Treatment for sciatica problem is aimed at reversing the disease process by identifying the underlying causative factor and relieving the pain and symptoms associated with sciatica.
- Treatment for Sciatica in Contemporary Medicine (Allopathy)
Sciatica is a problem that often resolves spontaneously within 6-12 weeks. Treatment of sciatica in the acute stage is focused on relieving the symptoms and approaches include, pain medication, rest, traction, heat and cold treatment.
If the pain does not respond to the above, patients are given epidural steroid injections to relieve the inflammation and thereby the pain.
Even after the relief of pain, there is a tendency for it to come back. One of the main approaches to prevention comprises of back-strengthening exercises.
If the pain does not get relieved completely or if the pain tends to recur, patients are advised surgery, to remove the pressure on the nerve. However even with surgery many patients tend to get relapses of pain and other symptoms.
- Ayurvedic treatment for sciatica
Ayurvedic treatment for sciatica is individualised to each person, after a detailed consultation, the ayurvedic physician assesses several causative factors which predispose the body to the condition and offer treatment to change those basic causative factors. To address the symptoms like pain, Ayurvedic medicines, and oil and herbal massages and other therapies like Kativasthi are administered. To strengthen the tissues and correct the underlying causes, the most important treatment comprises of Kashaya vasti, Snehavasti, Ksheeravasthi etc. are used along with diet and lifestyle changes.
- Ayurvedic Treatment for Sciatica in AVN AROGYA
At AVN Arogya, we offer holistic very effective treatment for sciatica.
We identify the individual constitution of the patient and all the pre-disposing factors and tailor an individualised program to address the condition. We have very effective medicines and oils for external application that help to relieve the symptoms in mild cases. If the pain is severe and is not responding adequately to the medication, we advise therapies like Podikkizhi, Ilakkizhi, Tailadhara, Kati Vasthi and different types of Vasthis.
These therapies are administered at our daycare centres and at our hospital and are very helpful to relieve even severe cases. For those who are very severely affected, like those with severe Inter Vertebral Disc prolapse, severe Spondylolisthesis or spondylolysis and have been advised surgery, we admit them to our hospital and offer therapies under intense care with rest and treatment. We also use Physiotherapy for pain relief. After the relief of symptoms, we train patients in appropriate exercises to prevent further recurrence as well.
Stress is one of the other factors which creates tightness of the muscle making the problem chronic. So we train the patients in stress management techniques as well.
Why AVN AROGYA for Sciatica Pain
- Ayurvedic Treatment for Sciatica at AVN Arogya alleviates the need for surgery and improves quality of life.
- Our experience of over 85 years makes us the best at offering the services required to effectively heal
- The treatment offered is time-tested, safe and effective
- The treatment is natural and holistic
- It retards the chances of a recurrence
- Patients walk out with renewed confidence in life